June 03, 2009

Let's Get Together

I am not usually a "write your congressman" type of person, but the following information is so unsettling that I do urge you to join me in writing to the studios and asking that this film be tabled. There are so many children that need homes and this stereotype is keeping them from being placed.

If you think that this isn't something that informed people are concerned about, please know that (among the other stupid things that people have asked/said about adoption in front of me and my children) someone told me, knowing that I was an adoptive parent, that they could never adopt because they would be afraid their child would kill them in their sleep. Really. And this wasn't someone who struck me as "that" type of person.

So, let's help squash something that could hurt our children. Write to Warner Brothers and ask that they please not put this movie out, or that it be modified so drastically that the offensiveness is removed. As an adoptive parent with a biological child, I can tell you openly and honestly that I do not love any of my children any differently, so someone even suggesting that as fact is extremely misguided and is missing out on so much, never knowing the extreme joy that adoption can be!

Aren't these little faces worth it?

Info from Forever Families:

There is a horror film being released on July 24, called Orphan, about a family who adopts an older girl who "is not what she appears to be." The film is currently being promoted, and the trailer is available at http://orphan-movie.warnerbros.com/. The adoption message is extremely negative, and plays into the stereotypes of adopted children, particularly older children, as damaged.

Though we have not been able to preview the entire movie, the trailer leads us to believe the movie will send a horrific message about adoption. The adoption community is protesting the release of the film. We urge you to contact the makers of the film, as well as your local movie theater chains, with your concerns. Contact information:

Warner Bros.
4000 Warner Blvd.
Burbank, CA 91522
818-954-6000

Silver Pictures
4000 Warner Blvd. 90
Burbank, CA 91522-0001
818-954-4490

Time Warner Inc.
One Time Warner Center
New York, NY 10019-8016
212-484-8000

6 comments:

Paul and DeeDee said...

yes you are most definitely right! No sleeping here tonight! :)

Paul and DeeDee said...

ummmm so I looked a while back to see who this was but never put two and two together and just now when I clicked on your blog to comment back I thought, wow that kid (Holden)looks really familiar.... then I scroll down a little and see some nice pictures of the dallas zoo....I am really blonde sometimes:)

I am going to spend some time this week looking at your story, I can't wait:)

Tammy Stone said...

As always you have my support 100% and anyone that thinks there is a difference in the way you and Heath love or treat any of those boys are out of their ever loving mind. That goes for the entire family as far as I have seen. We all love and spoil them equally.

Tammy Stone said...

As always you have my support 100% and anyone that thinks there is a difference in the way you and Heath love or treat any of those boys are out of their ever loving mind. That goes for the entire family as far as I have seen. We all love and spoil them equally.

Tammy Stone said...

I apologize for the duplication. My computer was having issues earlier. I found an online petition to stop the movie orphan and here is the link if anyone would like to sign it. Thanks.

http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/OrphanMovie/sign/

Andrea Cherie said...

beeHi! I clicked over to your blog via BlogFrog and am reading your "adpotion" labeled post.

This one caught my eye as a young couple I know from college (both age 27) watched this movie last year on halloween (husband has always been into horror films- gross I know) and it struck a chord with them to look into adopting one, maybe two kids. They finalized their adoption of a sibling set of FIVE in June!