January 24, 2006

Homemade Spaghetti-O's

My kids love tomato soup and, in a moment of weakness I gave them a can of spaghetti O's that happened to be in the pantry.  I didn't look at the labeling and was SHOCKED when all three of them had red poop later!  I went back and checked and yep, it's full of red food dye... brother!

I made a batch of homemade tomato soup, but it didn't go over too well with the kids.  Heath and I loved it, but the texture was much different than Campbells.  I was stumped, until my friend Anna left the following comment:

"I have been buying organic tomato puree to make soup and it takes about 3 minutes longer than Campbells. I just put a pat of butter, 1 minced garlic clove and the puree (1 can) then add chicken stock and cream or milk to desired thickness and some dried (or fresh) basil, salt, pepper. Tastes just like La Madeline's."


I used her recipe and made a big batch, then added some cooked, whole wheat pasta so it was a bit heartier.  Yum!



No comments: