September 01, 2010

What was that?

Oh Kelli Wetzel, you're a smart one - and super fast! Yesterday's What Is That was, in fact, whole wheat beer batter bread. And, as Amy commented, it's so easy and so yum!

I mean, what else do you do when your neighbors (yes the same ones who are kind enough to let you borrow their super fancy food processor) say they have beer they are trying to get rid of?



So how do you make this super easy yumminess? Well first you need a sous chef. If he's a cutie, it works even better.

I use a Williams-Sonoma recipe that I've had for years. My only "flair" is to use half wheat flour and half regular. The original recipe reads as follows:

3 cups unbleached all purpose flour
3 tbs firmly packed brown sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tbs baking powder
1 bottle (12 oz) beer, at room temp
4 tbs butter, melted

Stir together dry ingredients and pour in beer all at once. Mixture will foam. Stir until just combined, about 20 strokes. Pour into greased loaf pan and bake at 375 for 35-40 minutes.



If you are lucky enough to have a pint-sized sous chef, let him do the beer pouring. He'll giggle like crazy when it foams up, promise!



Make sure you serve with LOTS of butter. Yum!

And since you guys were so good to play along with my fun, I have a prize!


My friend Nicte over at Itsy Bitsy Monkey makes super cute things out of eco felt.  One of her newest creations is an iPhone pouch.  Now, how on earth could I pass that up?  Nicte was sweet enough to share one with you guys too (along with some other goodies that will be given away soon!)

Kelli, I'll get your prize to you soon.... and if you're sad you didn't win, just head over to Itsy Bitsy Monkey and check out the goods.  You might be glad you did! (hint, hint)

2 comments:

Anna said...

yum! Leftover beer is also good in soup. :)

Paul and DeeDee said...

I just signed up to bring bread to our small group this weekend and thought now all I need is a yummy new recipe! that was a little weird:) Thanks!