March 01, 2011

On nagging and self reflection...

Proverbs 25:24: "It is better to live on a corner of the housetop than in a house in company with a quarrelsome wife."

Yipes!


This scripture has really been pulling at me lately.  The English Standard Version reads... "than with a nagging wife."  I'm a nagger. 


My children nag too.  Drives me crazy.  I wonder where they get that?


Heath does an amazing job at recognizing where I need help.  And he often performs the task without my asking.  And I often have to bite my tongue and resist the urge to tell him how he should have done it.  Or often I just go ahead and tell him how he should have done it.  Why? Why? Why?


I'm slowly learning that it doesn't all have to be perfect all the time.  I struggle with trying to make it that way. I get angry when its not, or when it's not done the exact way I want it.  Little things like water left on the counter after the dishes are done have the ability to wreck my whole day.


But I'm changing that.


I'm learning to find my peace, I'm learning to not let the little things invade my joy, I'm learning to be patient and through all of this I'm becoming more faithful and exercise self control.  I will fail and many will hold me accountable, but I'm working on it... and I know I will be a much better wife, mother and child of God because of it!


Gal 5:22-23: "But the fruit of the Spirit  is love, joypeacepatiencekindnessgoodnessfaithfulness, gentlenessand self-control..."

1 comment:

Anna said...

Ah, this is close to my heart, too. Isn't it funny how one thing that doesn't go our way can wreck the next 8 hours? Bent Tree has been going through a Marriage sermon series (posted online if you want to listen.) The last sermon was about how we act when we are acting out of our flesh instead of the spirit. He went through different categories (passive, hostile, superior, religious, etc.) And said, now it's not YOUR job to point out your spouses. I know that's what you were thinking! Busted. :)