June 03, 2011

Frugal Friday - Closeout Stores

If you aren't gluten free, you might not appreciate this post.  If you are, or know someone who is, you'll totally get what I'm about to say.  Eating gluten free can get expensive.  I cook mostly from scratch, so I'm pretty sure that our average grocery bill is right in there with the majority of Americans, but when we had to change to gluten free, our personal grocery budget went up tremendously for us.

Convenience foods and mixes became a thing of the past as I learned to cook more and more gluten free items through the help of websites, blogs and overall experimentation, BUT man, it's nice to have some convenience every once in a while.

And convenience I got (and loads of it) when I stopped by my local Big Lots the other day.  OMGoodness!


I spent just under $200 ($199.42 to be exact, then I used a 20 percent off my order coupon on top of that!), and walked away with more than $600 worth of gluten free products.  The above photo is not a store shelf, that's my pantry.  We're stocked!


I also grabbed quite a few of these Enviro Kids bars, at $2/box how could I resist?

If you have a Big Lots (or similar store) by your home, I suggest you stop by often.  You never know what they are going to have!  There are some good deals to be had, but you also need to check expiration dates.   I found some that were just about to expire and loads that were good until Oct. 2012.  Just dig and look!


For more frugal living ideas, head on over to Life as Mom!

If you like this post, will you show some linky love? Just hit the button in the top right corner to instantly share this post on Facebook or Twitter. I appreciate your help in spreading the word about Living with Three Boys!

No comments: