October 12, 2011

Fall Gardening

I had my heart set on a fall garden this year. Kale and broccoli are eaten like crazy in our house and I just knew the boys would love having their own to pick!

We did some container gardening at our old house. It was fun, but didn't produce a magnitude of results. Our new house provides us a lot more room for gardening and I was ready to jump in... I want to jump into chickens and honeybees too but that's a post for another day.


But this, my dear friends, is what Texas currently looks like. The words burnt, dry and parched come to mind. Our area recently received 3-5 inches of rain, but even that did little to erase the scars of this years' (ongoing) drought.


Our new house does not have any sort of outdoor irrigation system. Even in those that do, the lines defining where sprinklers hit and where they don't are clearly drawn. We have some work to do to get things up and ready for planting here and it's just not going to get done in time for a fall/winter crop.

I'm sad, but hopeful for spring. How awesome would it be to make quarts of tomato sauce with my own tomatoes?

This country thing is new for me, but I'm learning it requires patience... and a lot of hard work. I've got to tell you, I love the slow pace of life here, but I'm learning it's not always convenient or on my own terms.

No comments: