January 12, 2015

Gluten Free Chicken Spaghetti

The chicken spaghetti I grew up on was full of Velveeta and canned soup. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not one to shy away from a Velveeta indulgence, but I like to save that splurge for queso - thank you very much. 
This chicken spaghetti has none of that. It's completely homemade, and simple. We make ours gluten free by changing out the pasta and the flour, but you could always do it with "regular" ingredients as well. 
First, it's time to chop the veggies!
Anna has been in the kitchen with me since the start of forever, so I let her handle some pretty heavy lifting in the kitchen. She chops with a real knife and works at the stove. I understand this is not appropriate for all 6 year-olds. In fact, I wouldn't let my 8-year-old man a stove. It all depends on the child's interest and their ability to stay on task. 
Back to cooking...

Start by boiling your pasta. In a separate pan, begin sautéing your veggies in butter. We used mushrooms, celery, onions and yellow peppers. Once they have softened, add about a tablespoon of flour. Stir, then pour in about a cup-and-a-half of whole milk. Continue to stir to form a thick sauce. 
By now your pasta should be ready to go! Drain, and then stir together the pasta and sauce and add your shredded chicken. Place mixture into a Pyrex dish and, since it is against the law to now top a casserole with cheese in the south, throw some cheese on top!



Ingredients:
1.5 cups cooked, shredded chicken1 bag of gluten-free pasta1tbs gluten-free flour blend1 tsp salt1/2 cup celery2 mini bell peppers1 cup mushrooms1/4 cup onions4 tbs butterCheese for topping 

No comments: