November 19, 2014

Cheater Tomato Soup

Oh, how I wish I had the time to make everything from scratch!  I've gone through seasons of my life where this has been a possibility.  A couple of years back, we had an amazing garden that allowed me to can and make a lot of things from scratch.  Our garden didn't do so well this year, and with the age and stage of my littles, making everything from scratch is a lot more difficult.

For some things, I will admit that homemade and homegrown are still priorities... for others, I've learned to cheat a bit.



One of our current favorites is Cheater Loaded Tomato Soup.  It's a super simple recipe and easy to whip up on a cold night.  I often serve this if friends come over for lunch and it is always met with rave reviews.

Cheater Loaded Tomato Soup


Ingredients:One jar of pasta sauce - We like this Muir Glen Organic Pasta Sauce

One carton of chicken or veggie stock - We like More Than Gourmet Veggie Stock

Directions:Mix ingredients together in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.  Depending on the sauce you use, you can add seasonings to taste.  Once it starts bubbling, cover and simmer for 15 mins.Serve soup immediately with a variety of toppings.  I like to mix cheese and sour cream into mine to make more of a bisque, but Stone and Holden like to eat theirs straight.  This is so much better than anything out of a can.  Plus, even though it is a cheater recipe, you can control the ingredients.  Stone and Cash can't have gluten, and most tomato soups sold in the supermarket are thickened with flour.  This is an easy way to get around it!

Enjoy!

No comments: